Saturday, August 27, 2011

Our very own grapes

Our home, built in the 1880s, has only been lived in by 3 families including us since it was built.  We've heard lots of fun stories from the family before us, and many of those are tales of the hard work the kids did outside.  Much of our yard (which is half of a block...four lots) was planted as a garden to feed the family.  There are apple trees and grape vines still.  The apple trees got diseased a couple of years ago, but the grape vines are still kickin' it.  Last week, we discovered the grapes were ready.  Simon helped me pick the grapes, and we brought them in to make grape juice.  I've never been able to leave the grape juice alone long enough to make jelly.  When I was little, my mama would find me sneaking into the kitchen to drink the juice.  Sometimes she would actually make me my very own jar of juice and I would drink it proudly, pretending I was a grown up out to dinner drinking a glass of wine with my steak (which was actually probably a hamburger or a grilled pork chop!!).

There is only a little bit of grape juice left, and no jelly got made, but that's ok.

This is what happens when I ask Ezra to take a picture of me making the grape juice. :)

















No comments: